Day 23: Nanaimo - Ganges (Salt Spring Island), 40.47 miles

September 18th, 2009

I vaguely made the offer to Louise to join me cycling down to Victoria. I think it is safe to say that Louise was not your hardcore cycle tourist, so I was a bit surprised when she took me up on the offer. The first part of the ride was on a horrible main road, but we were soon on fantastic country lanes following the coast. Louise was a bit slower than me, so I took the opportunity to snack on roadside blackberries and a little bit of apple scrumping in various rest stops as she caught up.

Later, we caught the ferry over to Salt Spring Island and then cycled over to Ganges. Here, we ran into problems. Apparently, the Autumn Fair was in town the next day, and so all accommodation was fully booked. By fortuitous luck while asking directions, we met a couple called John and Anne who kindly offered us their spare room. Not quite sure what we would have done otherwise because my tent would have been an exceedingly tight squeeze for 2, I was very grateful to John and Anne.



No comments:

Post a Comment