Day 6: Lucerne (Mount Robson Park), 28.37 miles

September 1st, 2009

I started the day by finding elk grazing all round my tent! Most of the rest of the day was spent wandering around Jasper, and I even treated myself to a couple of lunch time beers (concluding that "Traditional" is, in fact, a damn fine ale.)

I went to the camping shop to get the right gas canister for my stove and discovered that despite having a degree in engineering, I was unable to master a simple attachment of a canister onto a stove. I did, in fact, have the right one all along. (If only I had done mechanical engineering and not electronic!)

I also spoke to my Mum and let her know that I was thinking of her before her surgery (she was having her hip replaced). She seemed in fairly good spirits about it so that was reassuring.

Dinner included another burger and chips (this one at just $5.50). At these prices, there was no need to have pasta and Ragu; I could easily convince myself this.

Foolishly, I set off far too late to Lucerne, which is a campground about 20 miles out of Jasper, and it got dark about half way there. The trucks whizzing by in the dark was not fun. Then, at the half way mark, I reached the Jasper park gate. I was thinking I was about there, but then the lady there said I still had 12 km to go. She turned out to be a little wrong, a few moments later, I saw a sign saying 13km to Lucerne campground, and that extra km made a world of difference. Just at that point, it started to rain and a few minutes later I could see a fierce lightning storm in the distance. This was not good!

I ended the day/ride feeling very relieved that a) the storm never quite hit me fully and b) knowing that I had finally made it to the campground safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment