Day 11: Kamploops, 34.58 miles

September 6th, 2009

Today was a rest day in Kamloops, giving me time to sort out an issue with the bike and buy some pegs for my tent, since I lost my peg bag. Doh...

It was nice to be in a big town again where the grocery store doesn't quadruple up as the grocery store, gas station, liquor store and fast food joint with everything well overpriced.

The Alano Club here made me a good cheap breakfast and then asked whether I would like to attend their morning meeting. I declined not quite sure what kind of a meeting they would want to recruit me for... Having finished my breakfast though it seemed a wise choice to make a sharp exit (stage left)! I've since learned that the Alano Club is the BC version of Alcoholics Anonymous. Some might call this divine intervention??? I call it a lucky escape.

Cycled up to a campsite miles out of town (this was supposed to be my rest day) and finding it overpriced and nowhere near anyplace I could get some food ,I came back down the hill to find some food and a park to set up my tent and sleep in. After a long time, I finally fell asleep. I'm still not used to this "guerrilla" camping. Next thing I knew I was woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of gunfire and flashes all round the tent. A little excessive for illegal camping I felt, but I cautiously and nervously opened the tent to see what trouble awaited me. Bang! Another firework went off at the top of the park. Bloody teenagers!

1 comment:

  1. James, all that training must have paid off, you are attaining a good daily average... of pasta and ragu sauce. In fact it reminds me of our inter-railing sojourn around Europe, where cheap campsites and chocolate milkshakes were the order of the day. At least you seen to have moved on then. Your last scrape with the local youths did have me smirking, one of those pranks we'd of been proud of. Keep the posts coming; well, as long as you maintain the high witty standard. Must be very different experience from LEJOG with grander scenery and one would suspect, less traffic. One less thing for you to worry about - No risk of double dipping of the lubricant. All the best, Iain & Clare

    ReplyDelete