Day 24: Ganges - Victoria, approximately 35 miles (speedometer battery died)

September 19th, 2009

This morning, we stopped off at the Fall Fair that had given us all the accommodation issues the night before. It reminded me of Buriton (small village that I grew up in) fetes. The secret to winning at Buriton fĂȘtes was to enter into competitions that you knew nobody else would enter. e.g. Largest broad beans sown on a Tuesday, etc. Similar techniques seemed to have been applied at Gange's Fall Fair. That said, there were some interesting things, and I enjoyed the morning.

Later, we continued our ride to Victoria, over the other side of Salt Spring Island and across on the ferry back to Vancouver Island on the other side. It was a great ride into Victoria which was all on a bike path through countryside and into suburbia. We spotted a dear on the ride and was slyly taking a photograph while a local watched on with some bemusement. Apparently the gardens around here are considered restaurants to the local dear. Obviously a bit of a pest to the avid gardener.

Finally got to Victoria, where I said my farewells to Louise and set off to find my friend Alex's Mum, Ursula, who very kindly put me up for the night despite my uselessly late warning of my arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment