Day 20: Vancouver - Nanaimo, 22.27 miles

September 15th, 2009

Today saw more trekking around to more bike shops, and I finally found a wheel! Hooray...

$150 lighter, I went on my way with a new, non-cracked, super dooper A319 Mavic Rim in Silver. Now, I could go into the details of why the A319 is a far superior rim to the A119 (which is what I had before) but I will spare you...

And I wanted black but by this point I realised that beggars couldn't be choosers. I was just going to have to live with non matching front and back coloured wheels. The shame of it! What would the other cyclists say??

I tried to go to the Vancouver Space Centre but they were firmly shut, which was a little disappointing. So, instead I had a quick wander round the Museum of Vancouver.

Back on the bike, I pedalled across Vancouver and over to Horseshoe Bay. It was a great ride along Marine Drive, which is obviously where those with cash to burn in Vancouver buy their houses. All in all, it was great views over Vancouver Harbour and a very pleasant ride for the day.

When I got to Horseshoe Bay, where I was to catch the ferry to Nanaimo, I was treated to a spectacular sunset on the ride across. I arrived in Nanaimo to find a super hostel right downtown and happily rested my weary legs. I popped out of the hostel for a bit in search of something to eat but failed. I found an open Wendy's drive through but they wouldn't serve me because "You have to be in a car to be served...." Aghhh!

As if the drive through frustration wasn't enough, I still hadn't seen any sign of those nice Nanaimo Bars that I was expecting to see all over... I would have to track them down in the morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment