Day 15: Boston Bar - Hope, 43.45 miles

September 10th, 2009

Last night I fell asleep after drinking a few beers that I had bought. There was one lone survivor left this morning when I woke up, and I didn't want to carry it onwards. It was nice and cold, and it seemed a shame to waste it. So, I decided that there was no better way to start the day. Perhaps, I should have stayed for that meeting at the Alano Club in after all!

There was a good steep climb to start of my day, followed up by my very first tunnel of the trip. I stopped off at a place called Hells Gate, which was a tourist trap. I skipped the over-priced cable car and hiked to the bottom of the gorge. After all, I needed the extra exercise! Hells Gate is the narrowest part of the canyon and the place that the salmon have the most issues swimming up. Hence, their human friends have built a nice little salmon ladder for them and to ensure there are plenty for the dinner table. I saw thousands of salmon in the water (apparently a run was going through). I tried my best to get the woman to allow me back up the cable car for free but alas my English charm was not up to snuf today. Back up I hiked.

Then, I rode into Hope with a quick stop on the way for some Kraft noodles. Yet another staple for my journey. The campsite in Hope was great - right on the edge of town and on the banks of the Fraser River. I was looking forward to waking up to my view!

No comments:

Post a Comment