Day 13: Cache Creek to Spences Bridge, 31,93 miles

September 8th, 2009

I spent the morning in the library trying to get this blog going (you may have noticed that it's slightly behind the times in terms of updates). Until today, my attempts at keeping a diary had been completely non existent. Fortunately, the Internet was free and I had until 2:00 because it was Tuesday until the library closed. I think the library saw three customers the whole time it was open...and that includes me.

The towns I've been visiting are not large.

I set off down the Thomson river in the direction of Lytton to be hit by a full head-on wind. By the time I had got to Spences Bridge, I had had enough and stopped at the local bar for a consolation pint. After cycling at an average speed of well under 10 mph I definitely felt I deserved one.

I asked the bartender where to pitch my tent, and he pointed in the direction of a free campsite across the river. We know I like free, however, I have learnt that nothing in life is free. To get across the bridge, I had to sign the angry locals petition, showing my support in keeping the bridge open to cars (the closing was set to take place the next day). I felt it wise to sign just so I could be allowed across.

I eventually arrived at the campsite only to be greeted by a yapping dog, whose owner then popped his head out of his antiquated RV to tell his dog to shut-up and then offer me some fish he had caught earlier in the day. It was an excellent meal of fresh fish followed by the quintessential bear conversation, which then somehow turned into a "I once was tazered" conversation. Suddenly the bears didn't seem quite so scary anymore. Nice fish though...

No comments:

Post a Comment