Day 16: Hope to Mission, 69.71 miles

September 11th, 2009

Today started with yet another trip to the bike shop. There was definitely something not right with the bike, and it surely had nothing to do with the weight of the cyclist...

For the last couple of days, I had been cycling without a back brake due to my rear wheel buckling again (for my non-cycling friends, when you buckle your wheel, it rubs against the brakes slowing you down with each revolution and leaving you with the choice of either going slowly or not having a back brake). Whilst not a safe option, it seemed better than not going anywhere. After a few days of good fortune, I thought I'd better get the bike checked out before my luck ran out.

So with the wheel straightened by the nice man (who also sent me away with some spokes just in case I needed them), I was off again. I made a quick stop at Harrison Hot Springs which seemed to be the hangout of the rich -- with a float plane tied up at the dock no less (when I am all grown up and have made my millions, I think I would quite fancy one of those, but for the time being, a push bike will have to suffice). Harrison Hot Springs was a great spot. A stunningly beautiful lake.

I had a (expletive removed) of a hill shortly after I left the Springs and just as I grunted to the top, a man pulled into his driveway and called me over for a chat. Apparently his record time for the hill was 8.5 minutes. Bully for him I thought. I had no idea how long it had taken me but, considering I had stopped "to admire the view" a couple of times, I was pretty sure it wasn't 8.5 minutes.

Anyway, he invited me in to admire his house and gave me a much needed glass of water. His wife even offered me a shower. I don't know if this was a hint due to the pleasant aroma I was emitting, or if they were just being nice...

Just before I said goodbye, the man and I had an odd conversation that went something like this:

Him - Can

you hear that noise? I don't think it is a train.

Me - Well, your RV is still running but I assume you realised that

Him - Oh yeah that is what it is...

Weird.

Refreshed and on my way, I finally made it to Mission just after dark. I found out the closest campsite was miles out of town and having cycled back and forth several times to discover this, I ended up sneaking into yet another park for some more "stealth" camping.

No comments:

Post a Comment