Day 14: Spences Bridge to Boston Bar, 52.74 miles

September 9th, 2009

Yet another day of some serious headwind and a bit of rain to add to my misery made today one of the more challenging ones. And there were also some serious hills to add to my plight. So much for everybody telling me I would have a gentle ride down the canyon. Again, never trust the advice of a non cyclist!

I was now starting to wish I had taken the Whistler route on my way down to Vancouver -- something I had debated over for some time, but I did see some interesting places along the way. One shop in particular, right out in the middle of nowhere, just sold cowboy hats. There must have had a selection of over 1,000. Goodness knows how they stayed in business.

I went through the town where the Thomson and Fraser Rivers meet. It was quite cool; the Thomson is clear while the Fraser is murky. Apparently, it takes over a km for the two to fully mix.

Along the way, I also passed Jackass Pass -- looked like Deadman River wasn't the only thing named after Paul. Ho ho ho...

Just before I arrived, I was treated to my first ever sighting of a wild bear! A black bear ambled across the road in front of me. Fortunately, it was far enough away not to be a worry but at the same time close enough for me to get a good view. Sadly, he wasn't up to posing for a quick photo.

Soon after, I found a place to set up my tent but after a bit of consideration, thinking a) it was raining quite hard and b) I had just seen my first bear only a few minutes before, I negotiated with myself and checked into the local hotel (I am my mother's son), and half an hour later, I was sat in a bath (a real luxury) with a beer in hand.

Not such a bad ending to a miserable cycling day after all...

1 comment:

  1. haha!! very good! you know exactly what i want to reply, but as this is a family blog, i'll refrain!
    keep up the good work and your athletes diet!!

    ReplyDelete