Day 27: Bogachiel State Park – Quinault, 63.97 miles

September 22nd, 2009

I set off early to a good start. At the same time that I changed the battery on my speedometer, I also changed the setting so that I was able to see my average speed. For the first couple of hours, I kept challenging myself to see how good an average speed I could actually keep up and found it to be about 16 mph. Not bad for a fully loaded bike…in the heat. The only flaw was that I quickly ran out of water and was quite relieved when I finally found a place to refill my bottles.

As I reached the coast, I met up again with Baptiste, the Frenchman from the ferry. We decided to ride together as we were both heading for the same final destination for the day. There were three campsites, of which two were closed. Baptiste – ever the adventurer – suggested that we went to one of the closed ones where presumably we would get all the facilities but wouldn't have to pay. Sneaky! I liked it! (But extend sincere apologies to my parents).

It was worth it! We ended up with the best campsite right on Lake Quinault –perfect for a quick swim before we settled in for the evening.

On top of that, I just happened to have been carrying a bottle of Bacardi since the ferry crossing which I had really "sensibly" bought at Duty Free. While it wasn’t exactly what I needed to be lugging around on my bike, it was perfect for this kind of night. It seemed, to me, like the most sensible time to dispose of the extra weight, and so with that, Baptiste and I settled in for a rum and coke evening and put the world to rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment