Day 2: Canmore - Lake Louise, 61.13 miles

August 28th, 2009

Having had a good night's sleep in my tent, I woke up to a beautiful day in Alberta. Being in the mountains and bearing witness to such great scenery, any questioning thoughts I may have been having about whether I had made the right decision were now quickly disappearing and the adrenaline was beginning to flow. (Editor's note: the cause of such adrenaline - and such cheap camping - has been deleted to save my parents from the shame of their dishonourable son...although it's really not as bad as this note might lead you to believe...)

Cycling into Canmore, I stopped to get my clicky gears adjusted (by another nice bike man). I had a breakfast outside Safeway and then continued on my way to Banff.

Following a quick stop in Banff, I then joined the Bow Valley Parkway onto Lake Louise.

Fantastic scenery! Quiet road! Sun still shining! This is why I had come!

The only thing I would have changed is the amount of training I had done before I left for this trip, and at the end of the day, I virtually collapsed and walked my bike up the last hill into Lake Louise.

Lesson #1 on this trip: A fully loaded bike makes a significant difference.

Tired, I spent the night at a youth hostel and although I was exhausted, I spent a good part of the night wondering if I was the annoying sod that kept everyone up by snoring. I suspect I probably was.

No comments:

Post a Comment